Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sermon (summary) - Fulfillment of The Law

Matthew 5:18-20 The Fulfillment of the Law Continuing on with the theme of getting into heaven. Last week the parables of the ten virgins. We should not be lazy, but diligent and be prepared for his return. We should live our lives in preparation for the Lord. The pharisees in there time were leaders in their community. They taught the law and customs for their benefit and gain. They manipulated the word of God for their use. So in essence they were using the Law for themselves. As a follower of Christ my life should reflect my beliefs. My actions should be different from those of the world. People should be able to see that there is a difference in my life. The purpose of the law is to show us the difference between what is right and what is wrong. God shows us how to live good lives. If you have love, then the whole of the law becomes perfect. The law shows us that we are sinners. It shows us that we cannot save ourselves. We need to open our eyes and see ourselves as the sinner that we really are, then are we able to see God. We complain and rebel against God and argue with Him and wonder why we are not blessed. We are not grateful for what He has given us and refuse to listen to His words. How grateful are we for the lives we have, for our parents, our siblings, our circumstance? God tells us to love, but how many of us love based on emotions and not love truly? It is because we love according to our thoughts and biases and Christ does not reign in our hearts. Jesus teaches us that when we call our brother a "fool" we are in the dangers of hell, but how many of us say things that are worse to our spouses, children, siblings and people around us. When we do so, we are putting ourselves in the path of hell. Are you aware of this? And after saying terrible things, is it possible to just act like nothing happened by throwing out an apology? We fail to see that there are deep roots of sin that we must pull out and get rid of. We must face these things and do all it takes to change ourselves. When the pharisees judged people and called them sinners they too were putting themselves into the path to hell. For they were putting themselves in the place of God and judging others. When we meet God, each of us meet Him uniquely. We cannot say that because I met God one way that any other way people meet God is wrong. I am in error because now I too am judging. I must realize that everyone can meet God in a unique manner and I must be able to accept it. The words that we speak can bind us into difficult situations. We must be careful of the things we say, and especially not judge others. Countless people have had visions, dreams and experiences of God, but more than that there are more people who have not had an experience but also live disciplined lives. It is by the fruit of there lives that one can see whether or not one follows and believes in Jesus. If I bear bad fruit then I must change the things that will allow me to bear good fruit. If I see someone who is doing something that allows him to bear that good fruit, I must be willing to follow that example and use it in my life. If I have nothing to show, then it will not matter how many times I try to witness Christ to others, people will see that my life has no fruit so people will not listen. My life needs to reflect my faith. We cannot live our lives in order to be praised by man, but rather we must live our lives in order to be acknowledged by God. If we live to please man we will not enter into heaven. Where your heart is there your treasure will be also. If your heart is in this world then you will only do things for this world. If your heart is placed in the hope of heaven, then you will live your life to store up treasure in heaven. Many of us when we get comfortable, easily forget the things of the Spirit. The gospel is very simple, the message never changes, but as people keep trying to attract new listeners and increase attendance they start following the ways of the world and start changing the message of truth. Eventually the truth becomes distorted and the message no longer saves the soul. I must not do things according to what the world says, but I must stay focused on God and His will and never stray. I must live diligently so that God recognizes me, and not people, but when I live diligently for God, people will take notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment