Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Am I doing my best for my child?

Thanks to the local Soroptimist, a volunteer organization for women.
On March 3, 3012, My daughter and I attended an event for the 6th grade girls in the local school district organized by the local Soroptimist members. The topic of the event was the "transition to junior high". I was very impressed with their detailed touch of care for 6th grade girls for their needs in many areas.

The guest speakers for the event were current elementary school principals, teachers, police officers, a singer and a hair artist and so on. I didn't think much about the transition from 6th grade to junior high for my two older children. I realized things have changed so much for the last ten years especially in technology-related area. Oh!, most definitely there was another important area that changed so much. One of the speakers, a principal who has experiences in elementary school as well as junior high, said that majority of trouble-makers in elementary are boys but it is the opposite in junior high, because girls' become aggressive in "protecting her boyfriend from other girls" that often lead to physical fight.

What was greatly emphasized in the event was in alerting and preparing the girls (and the parents) for cyber-bully issues as well as the dangers followed by personal exposure on internet. They presented many actual tragic cases that started with naive mistakes end up in death of the girls involved.
Age 12 or 13, now is the time to set boundaries for themselves and to stick to them.
And to do so, the speakers pointed out the importance of guidance from family, parents, and the loved ones and why the girls need to listen to them. I do send my sincere appreciation to the speakers on this matter. We cannot over-emphasize the role and responsibilities of family, especially parents, in our children's lives. We, parents, can't just blame the media and society for undesirable influences on our children. We are responsible for protecting our children!!

No comments:

Post a Comment